Thursday, September 27, 2012

Snippet #32


“When you walk into this church, don’t you just get overwhelmed with this sense of. . .” Marek struggled for words, “Divine intervention almost.”
Sophie shook her head. “No, not really.”
            “But Sophie, religion. This beautiful church, because God.”  Marek looked puzzled. I knew why. Standing in front of him was the girl that cried over the beauty of mosques she’d never see, and yet she seemingly felt nothing in a beautiful Gothic church.
            Sophie gave Marek a dirty look, “No. This beautiful church, because humans.”
            “So you’re saying God has nothing to do with this, at all?”
“Yes. Isn’t it better to be moved by the actions of people? To say, someone like me made this church. Someone designed it. Someone built it. God didn’t do that. We did. That’s like saying because Van Gogh’s father was a pastor that God blessed Van Gogh with his artistic brilliance. No. Van Gogh made masterpieces. I won’t have you trivialize Van Gogh by claiming God meant for him to do so. Isn’t Van Gogh enough?”

1 comment:

  1. "Isn’t it better to be moved by the actions of people?" --> Love this. A lot. It's now on my white board for all to see lol.

    ReplyDelete

Microexpressions -- 7 February 2021

Maybe someday I'll be able to tell a story That doesn't have anything to do with me Or you But how can I ignore Your mouth full of e...