Saturday, September 8, 2012

Snippet #21


“If you don’t like wearing it, why do you?” I could tell that this was one of Sophie’s serious questions.
“I wear it because I got in the habit of it. It’s a compromise. My grandmother wears the paranja. I didn’t want to. It makes my family feel more comfortable; it makes life easier for those around me. I wear it because, in Tashkent anyway, I don’t get unwanted attention. I wear it because I feel safe. It’s like home, only wrapped around my head.”

2 comments:

  1. Because writing about things we know is the same thing as living our lives whereas writing about things we don't know anything about gives us a chance to be somebody else, if only for the duration of a scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose, but it's so hard to be accurate when you're making things up.

      Delete

Microexpressions -- 7 February 2021

Maybe someday I'll be able to tell a story That doesn't have anything to do with me Or you But how can I ignore Your mouth full of e...