Some people prefer last words; I prefer the first ones. By the
time your last words are spoken, you’ve had enough time to plan them out, get
them to roll perfectly off your tongue and out into the world. It’s the first
ones that will surprise you, pop out and make a mess of things. We don’t have
control over our first words, and that’s what makes them special.
When he said his first words to me, it was on a dreary
Tuesday afternoon. “Well, aren’t you just the prettiest thing I’ve ever seen.” The
man was mammoth. Tall in a way that made people stutter upon seeing him, and hair
that reminded me of a dormouse, he was something else. All freckly and gawky, he
wasn’t much to look at, excepting his height, of course. Then he smiled. He leaned
over the counter, branding a flashing smile reminiscent of the old toothpaste
commercials back when we had TV. I almost expected a sparkle to appear with a
faint dinging sound.
I didn’t have time in my day to respond. So I didn’t. I still
had a day’s worth of filing to do, not to mention my boss would’ve had my head
if I fell behind again. Running around the store, I kept up with my work, not
letting some behemoth of a man get in my way.
He spoke up two minutes later, grabbing my wrist as I rushed
on past. “I do hate to be rude, but a girl like yourself should know that she really
is beautiful.”
“I thought you were talking to the cat.”
His eyes flew wide, and his head tilted slightly to the
right. “Don’t think too much of yourself, do you?” He asked, still holding on
to my wrist.
I shrugged my wrist out of his grip. “No more or less than a
normal person. It’s just a beautiful cat.”
I didn’t know that later, I would be dying to hear those first
words from him again.
No comments:
Post a Comment