Thursday, July 25, 2013

Jack Kerouac - 25 July 2013

I love the inspiration of the Beats
The free-spirited, pick-up-and-go idea
That is more a representation of longstanding notions
Of manhood in America,
Because men seem to be able to do whatever they want
I want what they had, I want to be them
And yet, I will never be Jack Kerouac
If for the only reason that I am a woman
I can’t hitch a ride
Without the expectation of a sexual favor
(Or worse)
Finding yourself in roadside diners and highways
And staying with strangers
Is too dangerous and improper
I know, I've tried
“Who knows what could have happened to you?”
“He could have raped you!”
“You could have died!”
But nothing happened and I'm okay
Yet people still berate me for it
Why was no one yelling at Jack?

3 comments:

  1. It's because he's a man. That's it. If you had a dick it wouldn't be an issue lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think if there were two of us that it would be less dangerous to pick up and go, to eat in random diners and hitch rides with strangers?
    I'd like to think it would be...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it works that way.

    ReplyDelete

Microexpressions -- 7 February 2021

Maybe someday I'll be able to tell a story That doesn't have anything to do with me Or you But how can I ignore Your mouth full of e...